Home > Lights > Front lights
Hope Vision R4 LED Front Light 1 x 4 Cell -
Hope Vision R4 LED Front Light
Combining the latest in LED technology, innovative new ideas in drive circuits, and the highest energy density battery cells available, the R4 lamp weighs in at half the weight of its predecessor – the original Vision 4 – and is 30% smaller, without any loss in performance. In fact the R4 manages to kick out 1000 measured lumens, that’s 65% more light output than the Vision 4.
Hope have achieved this by designing the lamp around four Cree XPG LEDs, selecting the highest flux bin currently available, and controlling them with one of the smallest and most sophisticated, software based drive circuits ever created. The six power levels are split into two sequences – Race and Trail – each accessible by either a quick press or a press-and-hold of the power button from the off position
The two sequences mean improved usability. The Race sequence contains the three highest power levels, so switching from one level to another is faster and eliminates the need to pass through the lowest level, ideal for those times when maximum light is priority and battery life is not critical. The Trail sequence is there for extended periods of use when only a low level of light is needed but battery life is more of a consideration. The low power level is ideal for close contact use or to reduce glare when map reading. Trail sequence also contains the flash mode (which now pulses from dim to high) for times when ultra-high visibility is required from long distance.
The light is transmitted through the R4’s highly efficient optic to create a diffused uniform light distribution across the entire beam angle with no intense hot-spot in the centre. Both laboratory and extensive field tests were carried out during the development on a range of optics to ensure that beam distance was not sacrificed while distributing the light as evenly as possible throughout the field of vision. The emphasis on the intelligent software within the ‘brain’ of the circuit allowed fewer hardware components on the PCB, reducing its size. A smaller PCB footprint meant more freedom in design when developing the compact CNC machined housing.
The rugged and corrosion resistant anodised aluminium exterior has been extensively machined to create heat fins which maximise the surface area/ volume ratio to dissipate the heat as effectively as possible. Whilst every effort is made to dissipate as much heat as possible from the unit, we also wanted to keep the lamp compact and lightweight so in the higher power levels the housing temperature inevitably increases. Therefore, the circuit includes intelligent thermal management to prevent any permanent damage to the electronics.
In most outdoor applications the lamp will operate comfortably, but if the natural airflow is reduced and the unit starts to overheat, the circuit will gradually restrict the supply of power to the LEDs in order to reduce the temperature. This also helps to prolong the battery life by reducing the amount of energy lost through heat.
Hope Vision R4 LED Front Light Features:
- The R4 lamp has undergone some refinements for the 2012/2013 season with extended battery life being the main feature. The lower power levels in the Trail sequence have been modified to offer huge benefits in burn time. Mode 1 in Trail sequence will now run for a massively extended 50 hours, and mode 2 in Trail now runs for over 20 hours. This makes the R4 lamp even more versatile in terms of getting exactly the level of light that you need, whilst preserving the battery life during periods when only a low level of light is sufficient.
- The standard system now includes the 5200mAh (Epic/4 cell) rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack as standard so burn time in max mode is now 2.5 hours. The endurance option is still available but now includes two 5200mAh (Epic/4 cell) batteries. The new ‘lightweight’ option includes the smaller 2600mAh (2 cell) Li-Ion battery which offers half the burn times of the 5200mAh (Epic) battery for shorter duration activities, although it is worth noting that the 2600mAh battery will now provide over 25 hours of light in the new low mode. Also new for 2012/13 is the ‘lightweight endurance’ which includes 2 x 2600mAh (2 cell) Li-Ion battery packs, and the ‘All Sport’ option which includes 1 x 5200mAh battery and 1 x 2600mAh battery.
Hope Vision R4 LED Front Light Specifications:
- Designed, tested and CNC machined in Barnoldswick, England.
- Light Source: 4 x Cree XPG, R5 Bin.
- Light Output: 1000 measured lumens, 1446 generated lumens.
- Power levels: 6 (two sequences of three), including flash. Newly programmed ‘Trail’ sequence for 2012/13 offering up to 50 hours burn time.
- Battery: New for 2012/13 – 5200mAh (4 cell) Li-Ion battery pack as standard.
- Burn time: 2:30 hrs – 50:00 hrs.
- Charge time: 6 Hours.
- Beam: Diffused uniform beam ( /- 12.5°).
- Distance: 105m.
- Mounting: CNC machined aluminium QR bayonet mount for handlebar, helmet or head.
- Weight: 338g (std).
Hope Vision R4 LED Front Light System options:
- Standard – includes R4 lamp, 1 x 5200mAh Li-Ion battery pack, charger, extension cable, handlebar mount, helmet mount, head harness.
- Endurance - includes R4 lamp, 2 x 5200mAh Li-Ion battery pack, charger, extension cable, handlebar mount, helmet mount, head harness.
- Lightweight - includes R4 lamp, 1 x 2600mAh Li-Ion battery pack, charger, extension cable, handlebar mount, helmet mount, head harness.
- Lightweight endurance - includes R4 lamp, 2 x 2600mAh Li-Ion battery pack, charger, extension cable, handlebar mount, helmet mount, head harness.
- All Sport - includes R4 lamp, 1 x 5200mAh Li-Ion battery pack, 1 x 2600mAh Li-Ion battery pack, charger, extension cable, handlebar mount, helmet mount, head harness.
Buy Hope Vision R4 LED Front Light from Chain Reaction Cycles, the world's largest online bicycle store.
On sale at Chain Reaction Cycles
See all LightsNo comments yet.
Type in required words separated by spaces to search across selected mountain bike stores. A space represents 'AND', so all the words you enter will be present in either the product name or category. Use - (minus) to exclude single words and * as a wildcard, eg. roc*. Words must be of 3 letters or more.
Includes: Chain Reaction :: Wiggle :: Evans :: Merlin:: Halfords